Monday, July 3, 2017

St. George's Anglican Church - Basseterre, St. Kitts

I fell in love with St. George's Anglican Church in Basseterre, St. Kitts, and I'm not sure exactly why. I think part of it was I envisioned my great great great grandfather visiting it when he visited St. Kitts in the 1790s (he was a sailor from the Isle of Man), but it turns out it wasn't built until 1858. Another part is its basalt construction - very rough and tough exterior. It looks like it is built to last. The grounds have fun grave stones and vaults. 
A view from near the street entrance. It was consecrated in 1858 by the Bishop of Antigua. It is on the site of an older church, built in 1672 by the Jesuits during the French occupation and taken over by the Anglicans when the British expelled the French in 1715. The old church was badly damaged in an earthquake in 1842. 
Another part is the climb to the top of the tower, up some very steep ladders. The view from the top is superb. 
The Isle of Nevis is in the background.
The high mountains of St. Kitts behind. 
The inside was relatively ordinary.

Christ hanging over the main altar.
A fun coat of arms.
St. George slaying the dragon. 
An example of the Stations of the Cross. 

2 comments:

  1. I liked the simplicity of this church, and the views from the top were unbeatable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That climb to the top of the tower was super fun. I don't remember that St. George and the Dragon. I love the dragon! I looks like a crocodile.

    ReplyDelete