Thursday, August 5, 2010

Whole Smoked Herring

As part of the "unusual" food dinner for my sister and her family I purchased some whole smoked herring.
I put it on a plate around some eel which was also served.
I love the larger smoked herring. I've had it for breakfast in England and in the Isle of Man several times. It would be up there with some of my favorite foods. I also love pickled herring out of a jar. However, this stuff was a disaster. I ate the head and part of the body and it was sheer misery to chew, and then to swallow. It was dry, had kind of a freeze dried consistency and a bitter taste that got worse the more I chewed it. The closest thing I can compare it to is the sea horse I tried and ultimately spit out. This will never be on my shopping list again.

No comments:

Post a Comment