Saturday, October 17, 2009

EQC: German Mission - Tilsit (September 1907 to April 1908)

Edwin Q. Cannon served in Tilsit of the Konigsberg Conference from September 25, 1907 to April 24, 1908, one day short of seven months. The president of the conference (the equivalent of a modern zone leader), Joseph Spencer, was stationed in Konigsberg. About a month later, Spencer was replaced by Elder Hyer.

Ed’s companion, the entire seven months, was Hermann Babbel, age 28 (Ed was 21). Ed doesn’t write a lot about Babbel and so it is difficult to know exactly how the companionship worked. Babbel was the branch president. He did not speak English, which made it difficult for Ed to communicate with him (on the first day Ed said, “He can’t speak any English I have to make him understand the best I can in German”). It is not clear if Babbel was a native and resident of Tilsit, or a missionary from somewhere else in Germany. On December 18th, when a policeman visited a meeting looking for an American (Ed), the policeman spoke with Babbel and he had no problem with him running the meeting. Babbel was married, but there are only two references to his wife. One of them was when Ed visited another member, apparently in companionshp with “Frau Babbel.” It appears that Ed stayed with the Babbels in a home, but no indication whether the home belonged to the Babbels or the church, or if they were renting it. The Babbels may have had children, as on December 24th Ed mentions a Christmas tree in the home and giving presents to the children, although the children could have been a reference to other members who were visiting their home that day. It is difficult to know how much time Ed was operating on his own and how much time he was with Babbel. With many references to tracting, none mention Babbel, yet on October 18, he wrote, “Bro. Babbel and I didn’t go tracting” which may mean that he and Babbel tracted together regularly. There are a number of instances where Babbel and Ed are clearly apart. For example, on December 4th, Babbel left Ed in Memel and returned to Tilsit. Ed stayed in Memel an additional five days.

There are references to tracting on 76 different days. The first 13 days he mentioned how many doors he knocked on and how many tracts he handed out. The most doors was 79 in a day and the same day he handed out 79 tracts. After the 13 days, there are no more references to the number of doors or number of tracts. It does not appear that they did much teaching.

On September 27th, Ed notes that his “progress in the language is very noticeable,” but there is little further reference to the language or its barriers. On September 29th, at his first church meeting, he “spoke a few words in German and dismissed in English.” There are 52 days when he does not go out at all, but just stays home and studies, and another 22 days when he studies a portion of a day, for a morning or an afternoon. After he had been in Tilsit five months, at a meeting with a room full of non-members (one of the very rare occasions that occurred), it was Babbel that spoke and answered all the questions, so it appears that language was still an issue for Ed.

From newspaper accounts around 1903 when Mormon missionaries were expelled from Prussia, and Ed’s journal, it appears that Mormon missionaries were permitted to travel and visit members occasionally, but that they were not to have a proselyting presence. Therefore, it appears that Ed was proselyting illegally in East Prussia. That, in addition to learning the language, was likely the reason he spent so much time home studying. For example, on October 10th, the police were talking to the neighbors about him, so he immediately left Tilsit for Konigsburg, where he stayed for six days so things could “quiet down” before returning. On December 6th, while visiting Memel, he notes that he can’t turn on a light because if the neighbors think “a ‘mormon’ is here they immediately tell the police.” Three days later, on December 9th, “Sister Wittenberg came and woke me and stated that yesterday the police visited her to find out if a missionary was in town. She answered in the negative but they said they would visit her dwelling to make sure, so she came early that I might be away before they should come.” Ed immediately left Memel for Tilsit. On December 18th, in Tilsit, Ed went to the hall to attend a meeting, “but as I opened the door Sister Form gave me a sign not to come in. A policeman visited the meeting and told Bro. Babbel that the police had been informed that an American held the meetings.”

They held church meetings twice a week, on Sundays and Wednesdays, and often a smaller, second meeting, on Sunday at their home. After visiting church the first Sunday, Babbel told Ed it would be best for him to stay away until he could speak more German, apparently because of the illegal nature of his being there. Thereafter, Ed only visited sporadically, and most often in Kassino, where another meeting was held, perhaps where it was less problematic for Ed as a missionary.

It appears that the Tilsit Branch was very small. Only a few members are mentioned and some of the people mentioned could have been investigators. They visited Sister Onusseit 33 times, 15 of those times for dinner. There is only one mention of Brother Onusseit, to whom they gave a blessing. They visited Hernn and Frau (also referred to as “sister”) Form 27 times, 5 of them for dinner. They visited Herrn and Frau Weber 24 times, at least six of those times for Ed to give them and their daughter English lessons. They visited Sister Milberecht 13 times, twice for dinner. They visited Herrn Pritzkat 4 times and Frau Najokes 3 times.

Aside from tracting, there are only a few recorded instances where Ed actively participated in any significant way. He spoke a few words at his first meeting in Tilsit on September 29th and his first meeting in Konigsburg on December 13th. On December 5th in Memel, he sang and spoke at the funeral of a little girl and then helped carry the body to the graveyard. He participated in a blessing to a sick member on January 11th and on March 31st, he confirmed two members. The confirmation is another example where Ed and Brother Babbel were working apart from each other. Babbel telegrammed Ed to get to Memel right away for a baptism. Ed took a train, a ride that took just under two hours. At 8:00 P.M., Bro. Babbel baptized four people in the ocean, about a mile from Memel. After the baptism they confirmed the new members, Ed getting to confirm two of them.

Altogether, it looks like Ed had a difficult seven months. The journal entries are as follows:

September 26, 1907 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

We had another fine day today. I studied this morning and this afternoon visited friends with Bro. Babbel.

September 27, 1907 (Friday): (Tilsit)

The weather was very fine today. This morning I went out tracting and visited fifty doors and delivered thirty tracts. This afternoon I visited three of the saints. My progress in the language is very noticable.

September 28, 1907 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

The weather was very good today. I studied all day and went to Jacobs Rue this evening.

September 29, 1907 (Sunday): (Tilsit)

The weather was very fine today. I studied this morning and this afternoon went to notify three friends of the meeting. This evening we had a small meeting. I spoke a few words in German and dismissed in english. Bro. Babbel spoke about one hour fifteen minutes.

September 30, 1907 (Monday): (Tilsit)

We had very good weather today. This morning I went tracting and went to twenty six doors and distributed six tracts. This afternoon I went out and visited twenty six doors and left ten tracts.

October 1, 1907 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

We had another good day today. I stayed home and studied today as it was visiting day or something of the like. I couldn’t make out just what therefore didn’t go tracting. This evening Bro. Babbel and I went to visit Herrn Untereiser.

October 2, 1907 (Wednesday): (Tilsit)

The weather has been cloudy all day today and this morning it rained. I spent the whole day home studying. Bro. Babbel is holding a meeting in the new hall tonight. He thought it better that I stay away from the meeting until we get things in running order, and I can speak more German.

October 3, 1907 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

The weather was cloudy today but otherwise very nice. This morning I went tracting visiting twenty two doors and leaving nine tracts. Bro. B. and I ate dinner with Sister Onuseit spent this evening writing letters.

October 4, 1907 (Friday): (Tilsit)

The weather was very fine fine today. This morning I went out tracting and visited thirty three doors and left seventeen tracts. This afternoon I went out for a little while and left nine tracts after visiting nineteen doors. This evening Bro. Babble and I visited Hernn and Frau Form.

October 5, 1907 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

The weather was fair today. I spent the whole day at home studying.

October 6, 1907 (Sunday): (Tilsit)   [Letter to Luella Wareing]

We didn’t have very good weather today. It rained this afternoon. I spent the whole day at home letter writing and studying. This evening Bro. Babbel and I visited Sister Milberect. I fasted today until 5 p.m. Bro. Babble held another meeting in the hall.

Konigsberger Str. 14 Hof I Tilsit Deutchland

Dear Luella, -

I received your most welcome letter four or five days ago. You can’t imagine how glad I was to get it either. It was the first word I had received from home since leaving. Even if I am a missionary it seems blamed good to get a letter from home. I’ve had my face tacked on the wall for the last week trying to lengthen it out but she won’t stretch. And much to my detriment I didn’t study abit. And as for being glad when my voyage was over, I wasn’t a bit. There was a dandy bunch of fellows on board all about my age and we just had one hilarious time. The weather was fine all the way over. Now in your letter you mentioned my first sermon. Well that happened a week ago today. There weren’t very many present and I gave it in German. Now I just want to confide in you and say that I can’t any more speak german than you can. Well nevertheless I tried. No one understood what I said and when I sat down I didn’t know so that there’s one oratorical gem that’s lost to the world. You also informed me that it was Bor. Toronto’s leaving that caused you to feel so bad in the store. Well I’m sorry you felt so bad over it. No wonder Geo. Meyers stared at you so. He said to me as I went out the door the last time “My she must think a lot of that man” and I said I wished I had some one that felt as bad as that when I left home. Do you remember those four boys that left on the same train that I did. I mean four besides Harold Hyde. Well you can’t imagine how home sick three of them were. One or two of them had tears in their eyes when they got on the train and for a day and a half they sat out on the observation platform looking toward home. I guess they would be sitting there yet if we hadn’t had to change cars at Chicago. One of the fellows, Joe Baer, wasn’t at all home sick and he and I made their lives miserable by teasing them. One of the home sick ones was Irvin Jackson he whose farewell we attended. My bro. Sylvester President of the Netherlands Mission said that some of the fellows were joshing Jackson about his girl not waiting for him & he got hot and said he knew her well enough to know that she would wait for him. We had a great time with the homesick ones, of course I was home sick. (like the dickens) I just wrote a letter to Hen to-day thought I’d find out what the Chump’s doing. If you see him tell him to be sure and answer it. I’m sorry you’ve been sick. I never have felt better in my life than I have the last month & a half. I guess Collie and Bill had their pockets lined with cash when you saw them. You ought to have hooked on & had them treat. Just to mention treat I think of all those ice cream sodas, root beers, and all the junk they have down to Franklin’s that’s going to waste. Gee I’m hungry it’s fast day today. You know it’s a new thing for me to fast. Bro. Babbel is holding a meeting this afternoon but I can’t go for fear of the Poliece. The only reason I was to meeting last Sunday was because it was held here in the room. My it would seem good to get some one to talk English to. It’s been pretty near two weeks since I had the priledge. If you continue teaching down to the Riverside you’ll have webb feet when I get back. Say try and feel in the humor again when you write only get some thin paper & keep on writing you can’t put enough on paper like this the way you write. Well so long for this time. I don’t know whats wrong with me today I’m so nervous I can hardly write. Remember me to your cousin Miss Richards & say if I had known her address I’d have dropped her a card. Also remember me to Bessie W. Bill Arnold & all. With love from Ed.

p.s. Don’t put my name in the address. The name is Hermann Babbel

October 7, 1907 (Monday): (Tilsit)

It was cloudy and muddy today and it rained this morning. I was out tracting today and visited fifty two doors and left thirty tracts. Early this evening I visited Frau Form. I spent the evening at home.

October 8, 1907 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

It was a very fine day, one of the warmest we have had. I went tracting this morning and visited twenty four doors and left sixteen tracts. This afternoon I was out and visited twenty six doors and left fifteen tracts. I spent evening at home.

October 9, 1907 (Wednesday): (Tilsit)

The weather was very warm and pleasant today. It being market day I didn’t go out tracting this morning. Bro. Babbel and I ate dinner with Sister Onusseit and this afternoon I visited fourteen doors and left ten tracts. This evening Bro. Babble held meeting in the hall and I stayed home.

October 10, 1907 (Thursday): (Tilsit, Konigsburg)

The weather was fine today. This forenoon I went out tracting and visited eleven doors and left six tracts. Left for Konigsburg at 1216 pm on account of the police inquiring around among the neighbors about me. I thought things would quiet down my being away for a while. This evening I went out tracting and visited thirty one doors and left twenty three tracts. I went to Bible Class tonight. I am staying with Bro’s. Kimball and Hyer tonight.

October 11, 1907 (Friday): (Konigsburg)

We had good weather today. This morning I went with Bro’s. Kimball and Hyer to the public bath. We had dinner with one of the saints and this evening Bro. Hyer and I ate supper with another one of the saints.

October 12, 1907 (Saturday): (Konigsburg, Ponarth)

The weather was very good today. Stayed home and wrote letters this morning, and this afternoon I went out to Ponarth with Bro. Kimball to administer to an old lady. After returning Bro. Hyer and I went to the Tier Garden and spent the rest of the afternoon. This evening the three of us ate supper with a family of saints.

October 13 1907 (Sunday): (Konigsburg)

We had a very fine weather today. Bro. Hyer and I went to Sunday school this morning and to meeting this afternoon. After meeting I went Sister Norgall’s and had lunch and this evening we held a cottage meeting there. Bro Caine, a German Elder, took charge and I got up and spoke a few words in German.

October 14, 1907 (Monday): (Konigsburg)

The weather was very good today. I went to afternoon coffee with Bro’s. Spencer Kimball and Hyer, to one of the sisters. I spent the afternoon there and went to choir practice this evening.

October 15, 1907 (Tuesday): (Konigsburg, Tilsit)

This forenoon studied then did a little shopping. I left Konigsberg, at 1252 pm. For Tilsit and arrived in Tilsit at 515 p.m. I visited Frau Najokes for a while and spent the evening at home.

October 16 1907 (Wednesday): (Tilsit)

It being market day I stayed home this morning. This afternoon I went tracting and visited twenty seven doors and distributed twenty nine tracts. Bro. Babbel held a meeting in the hall last night and I spent the evening at home.

October 17, 1907 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

I went with tracts this morning and visited twenty four doors and left twenty two tracts. I ate diner with Sister Onusseit. I went tracting this afternoon and visited fifty five doors and left fifty seven tracts. I am spending the evening at home.

October 18 1907 (Friday): (Tilsit)

As Prince Fredrick Wilhelm was coming to Tilsit today to the dedication of the “Konigen
Louise Brucke” Bro. Babbel and I didn’t go tracting as most of the people were out to see the prince. Bro. Babbel and I went walking intending to go over the old bridge to the north side of the Memel but police were guarding it not allowing anyone to go over. The streets near the landing of the new bridge were crowded with people. All the soldiers were out in their parade uniform and two military bands were alternately playing. As we couldn’t go over the river we remained to see what took place. Upon the Prince’s arrival there was loud cheering and the bands played. The Prince gave the dedicatory speech and two German flags were unfurled. At this signal the old bridge, which was supported by large boats upon which it floated, was unloosed and toed up stream to be destroyed. This evening Bro. Babbel and I visited Frau Najokes and then Herrn Untereiser. We ate supper at Untereiser’s.

October 19, 1907 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

I spent all the fore part of the day at home reading and writing. This afternoon I went down to the Louise Bath. Spent the evening at home.

October 20, 1907 (Sunday): (Tilsit)

This morning Bro. Babbel and I took a walk out in the country to visit a friend. Bro. Babbel held meeting in the Hall this afternoon and I stayed at home. This evening we visited Hernn and Frau Untereiser.

October 21, 1907 (Monday): (Tilsit)

Spent the morning at home studying. Ate dinner at Sister Onusseit’s. Tracted this afternoon visited forty one doors and left thirty one tracts.

October 22, 1907 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

I remained home this morning and studied. Bro. Babbel and I ate dinner with Sister Onusseit. I tracted this afternoon, visited twenty four doors and left twenty two tracts. I spent the evening at home.

October 23, 1907 (Wednesday): (Tilsit)

I remained home this morning and studied. This afternoon Bro. Babbel and I went walking for about two hours then I went tracting. I visited thirty four doors and distributed twenty eight tracts. This evening Bro. Babbel held meeting in the hall and I attended for the first time.

October 24, 1907 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

I spent the whole day at home studying. This evening Bro. Babble went for a walk.

October 25, 1907 (Friday): (Tilsit)

I tracted both fore and afternoon. I visited seventy doors and distributed sixty five tracts. This evening Bro. Babbel and I visited Sister Milberect.

October 26, 1907 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

I remained at home all day Saturday. In the early evening I went to see Louise Babb. Spent the evening at home.

October 27, 1907 (Sunday): (Tilsit)

Spent the morning at home studying. Bro. Babbel and I ate dinner with Herrn and Frau Form. I attended the meeting this afternoon and this evening Bro. Babbel visited Herrn Untereiser.

October 28, 1907 (Monday): (Tilsit, Konigsburg)

Early this morning Bro. Babbel [and] I caught the train for Konigsberg. I spent the day at the boys room. I met Bro. Alma Gold, who’s home is in Cannon Ward, and Bro. Parker, who’se home is in Idaho. These two missionaries are newly arrived in the mission. During the day Bro’s. Burdet, Tuscher, Peterwatsky, Meyer and Ballif arrived from various parts of the conference. Bro. Hyer and I spent the night at the house of Sister Bucholz.

October 29, 1907 (Tuesday): (Konigsburg)

All the Elders of the Konigsberg Conference met together at the house of Sister Bucholz at 10 am. All the missionaries gave their reports this morning. We then went to a photographer and had our pictures taken. This afternoon we held another meeting. Bro. Ballif [mission president – visiting from Zurich] gave us a great many instructions. Bro. Gold and [I] spent the night at Bucholz’s. Bro. Hyer was put in Conference Pres. to succeed Pres. Spencer.

October 30, 1907 (Wednesday): (Konigsburg)

Bro. Gold and I ate breakfast at Sister Bucholz’s. All the Elders except Bro. Parker left Konigsberg today. Bros. Ballif, Spencer, Hyer and Kimball went to Tilsit. In the evening I attended a Mutual Improvement meeting held at the home of one of the saints. I stayed at the headquarters overnight.

October 31, 1907 (Thursday): (Konigsburg)

Bro. Parker and I ate dinner with Bro. and Sister Ebeling in Ponarth, a small place outside of Konigsberg. Bro’s. Ballif, Spencer, and Hyer returned from Tilsit, this afternoon. I attended a meeting held after the Bibel Class in the office here. Bro. Ballif spoke to the Saints, his subject consisting mainly of the unwisdom of so many people emigrating. Bro. Parker and I spent the night at the house of one of the sisters.

November 1, 1907 (Friday): (Konigsburg)

Bro. Parker and I spent the morning at the office. This afternoon we ate dinner with Sister Werner. This evening we took a walk around through the city.

November 2, 1907 (Saturday): (Konigsburg)

Brother Parker and [I] spent the morning at home. This afternoon we visited the Tier Garden. We spent the evening at home.

November 3, 1907 (Sunday): (Konigsburg)

This morning the teachers of the Sunday school held a preparation meeting here at the house. This afternoon Bro. Parker and I took a walk and this evening we attended a cottage meeting held at Sister Lassan’s. We ate supper here after the meeting.

November 4, 1907 (Monday): (Konigsburg)

Bro. Parker and I spent the day at home. Bro. Spencer returned from Elbing this afternoon. This evening I went to choir practice. I spent the night at the home of one of the sisters.

November 5, 1907 (Tuesday): (Konigsburg, Tilsit)

I spent the morning at the office. Bro. Kimball arrived from Tilsit shortly before noon and we visited the photograph gallery and got a picture of the group. I left Konigsberg from the Pillauer Bahn Hof at 1255 p.m. and arrived in Tilsit at 5.30 p.m. I spent the evening at home.

November 6, 1907 (Wednesday): (Tilsit)

This morning I attended to some business. This afternoon I went tracting and this evening I attended the meeting in Kasino.

November 7, 1907 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

I went tracting this morning and this afternoon. I spent the evening at home.

November 8, 1907 (Friday): (Tilsit)

Spent the day tracting. This evening I stayed home.

November 9, 1907 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

Sept the fore part of the day at home writing. Went to the Louisen Bad this afternoon this afternoon. Spent the evening at home.

November 10, 1907 (Sunday): (Tilsit)

Spent the early part of the day at home. Went to the meeting this afternoon. I attended a cottage meeting at sister Form’s this evening.

November 11, 1907 (Monday): (Tilsit)

Being unwell I spent the whole day at home.

November 12, 1907 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

Still being sick I spent the morning at home. This afternoon I visited Sister Onusseit and this evening Bro. Babbel and I visited Herrn Pritzkat.

November 13, 1907 (Wednesday): (Tilsit)

I went tracting this morning and this afternoon. This evening Bro. Babbel held a meeting in the hall but I didn’t attend. I spent the evening at home.

November 14, 1907 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

Spent the day tracting. I stayed home this evening.

November 15, 1907 (Friday): (Tilsit)

Spent the day tracting. This evening Bro. Babbel and I visited Sister Form and Herrn Untereiser.

November 16, 1907 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

Spent the day and evening at home reading.

November 17, 1907 (Sunday): (Tilsit)

This forenoon I visited Sister Onusseit. This afternoon I spent in visiting and this evening I visited Sister Milberecht and latter Sister Form.

November 18, 1907 (Monday): (Tilsit)

Spent the day tracting. Stayed at home this evening.

November 19, 1907 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

Spent the day studying and reading. Bro. Babbel and I ate dinner with Sister Onusseit. We visited Herrn Pritzcat.

November 20, 1907 (Wednesday): (Tilsit, Kassino)

Spent the morning at home studying. Bro. Babbel and I spent the afternoon at Sister Form’s. I attended meeting in Kassino this evening.

November 21, 1907 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day tracting. Stayed home this evening.

November 22, 1907 (Friday): (Tilsit)

Tracted this morning. This afternoon I studied. Spent the evening at home.

November 23, 1907 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

Spent the day and evening at home studying.

November 24, 1907 (Sunday): (Tilsit)

I visited Sister Onusseit this morning. Spent the afternoon and evening at home. We had the first snow of the season last night.

November 25, 1907 (Monday): (Tilsit)

I spent the morning at home. I went tracting this afternoon and Bro. Babbel and I visited Sister Form and Herrn Untereiser this evening.

November 26, 1907 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day tracting. This evening Bro. Babbel and I visited Sister Milberecht.

November 27, 1907 (Wednesday): (Tilsit)

Bro. Babbel and I ate dinner with Sister Onusseit. Bro. Babbel held meeting in the hall but I stayed home.

November 28, 1907 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

I went tracting this morning. This afternoon Bro. Babbel and I visited four families in Stolbecker Str. This evening we visited Herrn Pritzcat.

November 29, 1907 (Friday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day at home studying. Sister Onusseit visited us this afternoon and evening. Today was Bro. Babbel’s twenty-ninth birthday.

November 30, 1907 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day at home reading.

December 1, 1907 (Sunday): (Tilsit)

Spent the day at home reading and studying.

December 2, 1907 (Monday): (Tilsit, Memel)

Spent the morning at home. Bro. Babbel and I ate dinner with Sister Onusseit. We left for Memel* at 5:12 pm and will stay with Sister Wittenberg.

*Memel was in East Prussia. It is now Klaipeda in Lithuania.

December 3, 1907 (Tuesday): (Memel)

Bro. Babbel and I spent the day visiting friends. All together seven. I spent the evening by one of the friends.

December 4, 1907 (Wednesday): (Memel)

Bro. Babbel and I visited friends this morning. This afternoon he left for Tilsit. I ate supper and spent the evening by one of the friends.

December 5, 1907 (Thursday): (Memel)

I spent the forenoon tracting. At noon I went to Smelz and ate dinner with Frau Boehm. Last Sunday Sister Wittenberg’s brother, Herrn Boetcher’s little girl died. He held the funeral today and I had to sing and do the speaking. After I helped carry the body to the grave yard. I spent the evening at Boetcher’s.

December 6, 1907 (Friday): (Memel)

I tracted the fore part of the day. I visited Frau Annuscheit and ate dinner. On account of not having tracts enough I had to return to Wittenberg’s. Here I can not have a light on account of the neighbors. If they think that a “mormon” is here they immediately tell the police.

December 7, 1907 (Saturday): (Memel)

Spent the whole day at home.

December 8, 1907 (Sunday): (Memel)

I spent the forenoon at home writing. I ate dinner with Frau Krause and spent the afternoon there.

December 9, 1907 (Monday): (Memel, Tilsit)

Very early this morning Sister Wittenberg came and woke me and stated that yesterday the police visited her to find out if a missionary was in town. She answered in the negative but they said they would visit her dwelling to make sure, so she came early that I might be away before they should come. Left Memel for Tilsit at 903 a.m. Bro. Babbel and I ate dinner with Sister Onusseit. I spent the evening at home.

December 10, 1907 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day tracting. Bro. Babbel and I ate dinner with sister Onusseit. This evening we visited Sister Form and latter Herrn Untereiser.

December 11, 1907 (Wednesday): (Tilsit)

I spent the morning and evening at home. This afternoon I tracted.

December 12, 1907 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day tracting. This evening Bro. Babbel and I visited Herrn Pritzcott.

December 13, 1907 (Friday): (Tilsit)

I tracted today. This evening I stayed home.

December 14, 1907 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day at home reading and writing. Spent the evening at home.

December 15, 1907 (Sunday): (Tilsit, Kassino)

I spent the morning and evening at home. This afternoon I attended meeting in Kassino.

December 16, 1907 (Monday): (Tilsit)

Bro. Babbel and I had our pictures taken today. I spent the day otherwise at home.

December 17, 1907 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

I tracted today and this evening visited Sister Milberecht.

December 18, 1907 (Wednesday): (Tilsit)

I spent the morning at home. Bro. Babbel and I ate dinner with Sister Form. I tracted this afternoon. This evening I went to attend meeting in the hall but as I opened the door Sister Form gave me a sign not to come in. A policeman visited the meeting and told Bro. Babbel that the police had been informed that an American held the meetings.

December 19, 1907 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

I tracted today. Ate dinner with Sister Form and spent the evening at home. This evening we held a meeting at the house.

December 20, 1907 (Friday): (Tilsit)

I spent the morning and evening at home. This afternoon I tracted.

December 21, 1907 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day and evening at home.

December 22, 1907 (Sunday): (Tilsit)

I ate dinner with Sister Milberecht. Otherwise spent the day at home.

December 23, 1907 (Monday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day at home.

December 24, 1907 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day at home. This evening some of the saints and friends were here. We had a Christmas tree and a preasant for each of the children. All together we spent quite an enjoyable evening.

December 25, 1907 (Wednesday): (Tilsit)

I spent quite a merry Christmas today. We had lots of good things to eat. I visited Sister Onusseit and ate dinner there. This evening we all went to visit one of the friends.

December 26, 1907 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day at home. This evening Bro. & Sister Babbel and I visited Sister Form.

December 27, 1907 (Friday): (Tilsit)

This morning I went tracting. I spent the afternoon and evening at home. Herr and Sister Form visited us this evening.

December 28, 1907 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day and evening at home.

December 29, 1907 (Sunday): (Tilsit)

Bro. Babbel and I visited Sister Onusseit today. This evening we held a meeting at the house.

December 30, 1907 (Monday): (Tilsit)

I spent the morning at home making out reports. I tracted this afternoon. Spent the evening at home.

December 31, 1907 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day at home. We spent the evening at Sister Form’s. At 1145 p.m. I went to the main street of the town. At 12 M. [midnight – New Years] the people began to hollar “Prosit Neu Jahr” and crowds of people were still going up and down the street shouting the greeting when I left.

January 1, 1908 (Wednesday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day at home writing and studying.

January 2, 1908 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day in tracting.

January 3, 1908 (Friday): (Tilsit)

I spent the morning at home. Bro. Babbel and I visited some new friends this afternoon, and had a very interesting time.

January 4, 1908 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day and evening at home studying.

January 5, 1908 (Sunday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day at home. Bro. Kimball came from Konigsburg to spend a few days in Tilsit. He is released to go home. We held a meeting here at home this evening.

January 6, 1908 (Monday): (Tilsit)

Bro. Kimball and I visited the shower bath this morning. We ate dinner with Sister Onusseit. We ate supper and spent the evening with Herrn and Frau Untereiser.

January 7, 1908 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

I tracted to day. I spent the evening at home.

January 8, 1908 (Wednesday): (Tilsit)

I spent the morning at home. This afternoon Bro. Kimball and I visited a friend and after had coffee with Sister Form. Bro. Hyer arrived from Konigsburg this afternoon and we spent the evening at home.

January 9, 1908 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

I spent the morning at home. Bro. Kimball & I visited Sister Milberecht, Frau Westfall, Herrn & Frau Untereiser and Sister Onusseit. It snowed and drifted very hard today and Bro. Kimball had to wait until 1025 pm before he could get a train from here to Konigsburg.

January 10, 1908 (Friday): (Tilsit)

Bro. Hyer and I visited a young woman in a candy store here and Sister Onusseit. I spent the afternoon and evening at home.

January 11, 1908 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

Bro. Hyer and I visited the Bath Anstalt this morning. We visited Sister Onusseit this evening and administered to Brother Onusseit.

January 12, 1908 (Sunday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day at home. This evening Bro. Hyer and I visited Hernn and sister Form.

January 13, 1908 (Monday): (Tilsit)

I spent the morning at home. I went tracting this afternoon. This evening Bro. Hyer and I visited Sister Milberecht.

January 14, 1908 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

Bro. Hyer and I visited Sister Onusseit this morning. I went tracting this afternoon. I spent the evening at home.

January 15, 1908 (Wednesday): (Tilsit)

Bro. Hyer, Bro. Babbel and I ate dinner with Sister Onusseit. I spent the afternoon and evening at home.

January 16, 1908 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

Feeling unwell I spent the day at home.

January 17, 1908 (Friday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day tracting. I stayed home this evening.

January 18, 1908 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

Bro. Babbel and Hyer returned from Memel this forenoon. Bro. Hyer and I visited Sisters Milberecht, Form, and Onusseit this afternoon. Bro. Hyer left for Konigsburg this evening.

January 19, 1908 (Sunday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day at home. Bro. Babbel and I visited Herrn and Sister Form this evening.

January 20, 1908 (Monday): (Tilsit)

I visited the Louisen Bath this morning. I spent the afternoon at home reading.

January 21, 1908 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day tracting. This evening Bro. Babbel and I visited two families of friends.

January 22, 1908 (Wednesday): (Tilsit, Cassino)

I spent the day at home. This evening I attended meeting in Cassino.

January 23, 1908 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day at home stamping tracts for Bro. Babbel and I ate dinner with Sister Onusseit.

January 24, 1908 (Friday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day tracting. I spent the evening at home.

January 25, 1908 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day at home. This evening Bro. Babbel visited Herrn & Frau Weber this evening.

January 26, 1908 (Sunday): (Tilsit)

I remained at home today. This evening we held a house meeting. After the meeting I visited the celebration in the town which was held on account of the Kaiser’s birthday being tomorrow.

January 27, 1908 (Monday): (Tilsit)

I tracted today. I visited Frau Weber this evening. I found from the visit and from a conversation I had that the Old Nick is not sleeping, but it’s an ill will that blows no body good.

January 28, 1908 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

Bro. Babbel and I visited friends this afternoon and evening.

January 29, 1908 (Wednesday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day and evening at home.

January 30, 1908 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

I spent the afternoon tracting. Stayed home this evening.

January 31, 1908 (Friday): (Tilsit)

I tracted today and visited Webers this evening.

February 1, 1908 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day at home reading.

February 2, 1908 (Sunday): (Tilsit)

I visited Sister Onusseit this morning and administered the sacrement for her and Bro. Onusseit. I attended the meeting in the hall today and there was a man there that raised a little disorder but it really served for good rather than for bad. This evening we had a small meeting here in the house.

February 3, 1908 (Monday): (Tilsit)

I tracted today. Spent the evening at home.

February 4, 1908 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day tracting and stayed home this evening.

February 5, 1908 (Wednesday): (Tilsit)

It being market day I spent the morning at home. I tracted this afternoon and visited Webers this evening.

February 6, 1908 (Thursday): (Tilsit, Stolkeck)

Bro. Babbel and I visited friends in Stolkeck today. I spent the evening at Weber’s.

February 7, 1908 (Friday): (Tilsit)

I tracted this afternoon and spent the evening at home.

February 8, 1908 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day at home and visited Frau Weber and Herrn Untereiser this evening.

February 9, 1908 (Sunday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day at home and this evening I visited sister Form.

February 10, 1908 (Monday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day and evening at home.

February 11, 1908 (Tuesday): (Tilsit, Ragnet)

This afternoon Bro. Babbel and I walked to Ragnet, a small town about seven miles from Tilsit, in a blinding snow storm. We stayed at a hotel there overnight.

February 12, 1908 (Wednesday): (Ragnet, Tripoenen, Tilsit)

Bro. Babbel and I traveled with a cutter from Ragnet to Tripoenen, [Fripoenen ??] about eighteen miles, and administered to Sister Anne, a sister to Sister Onusseit and who is very sick. We then drove back to Ragnet and from there walked to Tilsit. During the day we saw four or five deer while coming through the forest.

February 13, 1908 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

Bro. Babbel and I ate dinner with Sister Onusseit. As I was about to leave to go tracting Bro Babbel and the man who got up in meeting and made a disorder a week ago last Sunday came in, and I retreated to the bedroom. The man tried to show Bro. Babbel where he was wrong but after they had argued for some time the man left in a somewhat disgruntled condition. It was so late when he left that I didn’t go tracting. I visited Webers’ this evening to give an english lesson.

February 14, 1908 (Friday): (Tilsit)

I went tracting this afternoon. This evening I gave an english lesson at Webers’.

February 15, 1908 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

I spent the morning at home. This afternoon I went to the Louisen Bad anstadt and this evening I visited Sister Milberecht.

February 16, 1908 (Sunday): (Tilsit, Kasino)

I attended the meeting in Kasino this afternoon and this evening we had a meeting here at the house.

February 17, 1908 (Monday): (Tilsit)

I went tracting this forenoon and I spent the afternoon and evening at home.

February 18, 1908 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

I went tracting this morning. Bro. Babbel and I ate dinner with Sister Form. I spent the afternoon and evening at home.

February 19, 1908 (Wednesday): (Tilsit)

I went tracting this afternoon. This evening I went to meeting. Bro Babbel and I ate dinner with Sister Onusseit.

February 20, 1908 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

I went tracting this afternoon. This evening I visited Weber’s.

February 21, 1908 (Friday): (Tilsit, Stolbeck)

Bro. Babble and I visited friends in Stolbeck today. I visited Webers’ this evening.

February 22, 1908 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day and evening at home.

February 23, 1908 (Sunday): (Tilsit)

I went to meeting in Kasino this afternoon. I spent the evening at home.

February 24, 1908 (Monday): (Tilsit)

I gave an english lesson at Webers’ this evening. I spent the day at home.

February 25, 1908 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

I visited Webers’ today and Sister Form this evening.

February 26, 1908 (Wednesday): (Tilsit, Kasino)

I went tracting today. This evening I attended bible class in Kasino.

February 27, 1908 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

Bro. Babbel and I ate dinner with Sister Onusseit. I tracted this afternoon and this evening I visited Webers’.

February 28, 1908 (Friday): (Tilsit)

I went tracting this afternoon and visited Webers’ this evening.

February 29, 1908 (Saturday): (Tilsit, Stolbeck)

This forenoon I visited Sister Onusseit and from there I went to visit a family in Stolbeck to see if it was agreeable for Bro. Babbel and me to visit them this evening. It was agreeable so Bro. Babbel and I went there this evening and they had a whole room full of people there waiting for us. We held an informal meeting and Bro. Babbel spoke then they asked questions and Bro. Babbel answered them. In this way we spent a very pleasant evening.

March 1, 1908 (Sunday): (Tilsit, Kasino)

I went to meeting in Kasino this afternoon and this evening I held a cottage meeting at Sister Form’s.

March 2, 1908 (Monday): (Tilsit)

I visited Webers’ this eveing. Today I remained home and read.

March 3, 1908 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

I ate dinner with Sister Milberecht. I tracted this afternoon and remained home this evening.

March 4, 1908 (Wednesday): (Tilsit)

I spent the afternoon tracting.

March 5, 1908 (Thursday): (Tilsit, Stolbeck, Splitter)

Bro. Babbel and I visited friends in Stolbeck and Splitter this afternoon and this evening I visited Weber’s.

March 6, 1908 (Friday): (Tilsit)

Bro. Babbel and I visited Herrn and Frau Jonigkeit this evening and while we were there one of the neighbors invited us in to talk to them. While there we had quite a heated argument. I spent the day at home.

March 7, 1908 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

Bro. Babbel and I spent part of the afternoon sawing and chopping wood. I spent the day and evening at home.

March 8, 1908 (Sunday): (Tilsit)

This evening we held a cottage meeting here at the house. I spent the day at home.

March 9, 1908 (Monday): (Tilsit)

I visited the Bad anstadt this morning. I remained home this evening.

March 10, 1908 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

I went tracting this afternoon.

March 11, 1908 (Wednesday): (Tilsit)

Bro. Babbel and I ate dinner with Sister Onusseit today.

March 12, 1908 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day tracting. Bro. Babbel and I visited Untereisers’ this evening.

March 13, 1908 (Friday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day tracting and remained home this evening.

March 14, 1908 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

I visited Webers’ today and spent the evening at home.

March 15, 1908 (Sunday): (Tilsit, Kasino)

I went to meeting this afternoon in Kasino. I spent the rest of the day and the evening at home.

March 16, 1908 (Monday): (Tilsit)

I went tracting this afternoon and happened to run across a preacher from the Lutherian Church. We had quite a long talk together.

March 17, 1908 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

I went tracting this afternoon and spent the evening at home.

March 18, 1908 (Wednesday): (Tilsit)

I tracted this afternoon and visited Webers’ this evening.

March 19, 1908 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

I remained home this evening and went tracting this afternoon.

March 20, 1908 (Friday): (Tilsit)

I spent the afternoon tracting and stayed home this evening.

March 21, 1908 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

I spent most of the day at home.

March 22, 1908 (Sunday): (Tilsit)

I visited Sister Onusseit this forenoon and then went to Sister Form’s for dinner. We had a house meeting here last evening.

March 23, 1908 (Monday): (Tilsit)

I visited Webers’ this evening and gave an english lesson. I tracted this afternoon.

March 24, 1908 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

I went tracting this afternoon and remained home this evening.

March 25, 1908 (Wednesday): (Tilsit, Schorellen)

Herr Lamprecht called for me at noon and we caught the train for Schorellen. We were met at the depot by Herrn Lamprecht’s father who had a wagon to take us to his farm which is about 4 miles from Schorellen. There have been elders visiting Lamperechts’ off and on for some five or six years. There is also another family in Schwarballen, which is the name of the village where Lamprechts’ live, who have been visited by the missionaries for over fifteen years. The wife of this man, Broscheit by name, has three brothers and other relatives who have joined the Church and who have emigrated to America. The name of this family is Bleckert. We spent the evening singing, talking.

March 26, 1908 (Thursday): (Schorellen, Tilsit)

Today Herr Lamprecht and I visited a windmill which is not very far from where he lives. We visited Broscherts’ and spent most of the rest of the day at his house. This evening Herrn Lamprecht’s father drove us to Schorellen and from there we took the train to Tilsit. This evening Frau Babbel and I visited Frau Najokes.

March 27, 1908 (Friday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day and evening at home.

March 28, 1908 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

This morning I went out to the place where the troops drill. A number of companies from the Infantry and Cavelry were drilling together. I spent the evening at home.

March 29, 1908 (Sunday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day at home. This afternoon Herr Bodenstein called for me and we took a walk over the “Louisen Bruecke” then on the other side of the Memel to the railroad bridge and back. While we were on the railroad bridge a big piece of ice broke loose as as it would strike the piers, it formed quite an interesting sight. This evening I visited Sister Form. Herr Untereiser and Frau were there and we had quite a pleasant time together.

March 30, 1908 (Monday): (Tilsit)

I tracted this afternoon and spent the evening at home.

March 31, 1908 (Tuesday): (Tilsit, Memel)

We received a telegram from Bro. Babbel who is in Memel*, saying for me to catch the first train for that place as he would have a baptism there this evening. I left Tilsit at 1210 pm and arrived there at 3 pm. Bro. Babbel and Herr Rotkowsky were at the depot to meet me. We went to Herrn Rotkowsky’s and from there I went to Kraus’s where Sister Wittenberg lives to tell her of the baptism. I ate dinner there. At eight o’clock we all assembled at Buttkus’ where Bro. Babbel spoke to those who were to be baptized and those who were going to witness the ceremony. From there we all proceeded to the sea strand which is about a mile from Memel and there Bro. Babbel baptized Fraen Boehm and Buttkus and Fraulein Schuetz and Berscheit. After the baptism we found a quiet place where we confirmed the new members. I confirmed Sisters Boehm and Schuetz.

*Now Klaipeda, Lithuania.

April 1, 1908 (Wednesday): (Memel, Tilsit)

This morning the new members and a few friends assembled at Sister Buttkus’ and we administered the sacrement and gave it to the new members. We returned to Tilsit at 250 pm. I spent the evening at home.

April 2, 1908 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

I tracted this afternoon and spent the evening at home.

April 3, 1908 (Friday): (Tilsit)

I tracted this afternoon and visited Frau Weber this evening to give her daughter an english lesson.

April 4, 1908 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

I went to the Louisen Bad Anstalt to day and this afternoon I visited Sister Form for a while.

April 5, 1908 (Sunday): (Tilsit, Kasino)

This morning Herr Bodenstein called for me and we went walking in Jacob’s Rue. I went to meeting in Kasino this afternoon and this evening we held a small meeting here at the house.

April 6, 1908 (Monday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day tracting and this afternoon visited Sister Form.

April 7, 1908 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

I tracted this afternoon and visited Sister Onusseit and Frau Weber this evening.

April 8, 1908 (Wednesday): (Tilsit)

I spent the afternoon tracting and this evening I stayed home.

April 9, 1908 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

I went with tracts today. This forenoon I visited Sister Pastowsky and this afternoon Bro. Babbel and I visited Sister Onusseit. This evening I visited Webers.

April 10, 1908 (Friday): (Tilsit)

I tracted this afternoon and remained at home this evening.

April 11, 1908 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day and evening at home.

April 12, 1908 (Sunday): (Tilsit, Kasino)

I went to meeting in Kasino this afternoon and this evening Herr Lambrecht and I visited Sister Form and Sister Onusseit and from there we went to an illustrated Bible lecture held in the new hall in Landwerstr.

April 13, 1908 (Monday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day and evening at home.

April 14, 1908 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

I spent the afternoon tracting and this evening I visited Webers to give an english lesson.

April 15, 1908 (Wednesday): (Tilsit)

I visited Sisters Form and Onusseit today, tracted this afternoon and went to Bibel [sic] Class this evening.

April 16, 1908 (Thursday): (Tilsit)

This morning Bro. Babbel and I visited Herrn Pamprecht. This afternoon we remained at home and cleaned clothes.

April 17, 1908 (Friday): (Tilsit)

I visited Sisters Milberecht, Form and Onusseit today and also Herrn Untereiser. This evening we had a meeting here in the house and a number of the friends and saints were present.

April 18, 1908 (Saturday): (Tilsit)

I visited Frau Weber today and spent the evening at home.

April 19, 1908 (Sunday): (Tilsit, Schwarballen)

I left for Schwarballen this morning in company with Herrn Lamprecht. During the day there we visited Broszeits’, where I stayed overnight.

April 20, 1908 (Monday): (Schwarballen, Tilsit)

Bro. Hyer came from Tilsit early this morning to bring me the sad news that mother was dead. (This was underlined in red pencil) We spent the day at Lamprechts’ and this afternoon held a house meeting. We returned to Tilsit this evening.

April 21, 1908 (Tuesday): (Tilsit)

I spent the day at home and visited Sisters Milberecht and Form this evening.

April 22, 1908 (Wednesday): (Tilsit, Stolbeck)

This forenoon I visited Walkas’ in Stolbeck to invite them to meeting. Bro’s Hyer, Ballif* and Babbel returned from Memel and we all went and ate dinner with Sister Onusseit. From there we all visited Sisters Form and Milberecht. This evening we all went to Bible Class.

*President Ballif, located in Zurich, must have visited Ed to give him some support after learning of the death of Ed’s mother, Eliza Tenney Cannon.

April 23, 1908 (Thursday): (Tilsit, Konigsberg)

Bro. Babbel and I left for Konigsberg early this morning and arrived there at 10:45 a.m. I went to Bojahr’s where I waited until about noon and then went to Bro. Ebeling’s where we held a priesthood meeting. Bro. Ballif was present and we had a very good time together. This evening we held a meeting at Bojahrs’ and most of the members of the Branch were present.

April 24 1908 (Friday): (Konigsberg)

We held another priesthood meeting this norming as we didn’t get through yesterday. Bro. Ballif gave us some very useful instructions. Bro. Hyer changed my field of labor from Tilsit to Konigsberg. Bro. Hanks and I will be partners and our place of abode will be with Sister Kowelewski, Unter Haberberg Str, 8A. This afternoon we all had our pictures taken and a little later, Bro’s. Ballif, Hyer and some of the elders left for Elbing and Danzig.

No comments:

Post a Comment